The Newest: USL’s Indy Eleven to return with restricted followers
The United Soccer League’s Indy Eleven will be back in action next Saturday with limited fans at Lucas Oil Stadium
The Latest: USL’s Indy Eleven Returns With Limited Fans By The Associated Press, The Associated Press
The latest on the impact of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:
The United Soccer League’s Indy Eleven will be back in action next Saturday with limited fans at Lucas Oil Stadium.
The leaders of the league announced a schedule for 263 games that will be played over a period of 13 weeks. This leads to a 16-team playoff slated for October.
Indy also released a nearly 2,000 word document of changes being made to the stadium, home of the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts, to protect inmates from COVID-19.
Changes include mandatory face covering in the stadium except when people are eating or drinking, restricting groups to four or fewer tickets, separating those groups with at least four free seats, and using at least every other row to maintain social distance.
Tailgating is not allowed. Fans also enter the stadium in staggered 15-minute shifts and exit in rows, with those closest to the exits leaving first.
Each ticket holder will also be asked if they have been in close contact with someone who has a confirmed case of COVID-19 and if they experience certain symptoms of illness before they can undergo a temperature test. Anyone exceeding 100.4 degrees will not be admitted, although fans can request a re-examination after a cool down.
Security checks are carried out with walk-in magnetometers and tickets are scanned without contact. Concession lines are marked 6 feet apart, condiments are served in single-serving packages, refills of food or drink are not permitted, and most items are served in sealed containers or packaging.
Players, referees and staff not appearing on the field of play must also wear face covers. Flag bearers, player attendants, and ball kids are not used, and players are discouraged from celebrating with hugs or high fives.
Ten of Indy’s 15 remaining games will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium.
Indianapolis will also host the first NHRA drag racing events with limited fans this coming Saturday.
The Boston Red Sox are preparing to open their spring training restart at Fenway Park.
On Thursday, the day before the team was due to hold their first training sessions, weights and training equipment were set up in the hall so that the players could train with more social distance than the usual cramped facilities would allow.
The crew members of the masked grounds worked to prepare the field.
Baseball suspended spring training in March because of the coronavirus outbreak and delayed opening day. Players and owners agreed to try again last month. Teams signed up for training on Friday and the first matches of a 60-game schedule were played in empty stadiums on July 23 or 24.
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker was in Fenway Thursday to sign an order allowing the Red Sox to open the ballpark without fans during the state’s Phase 3 reopening plan.
The New York Mets, who is meeting coach Chili Davis, will continue to work when the team’s summer camp opens on Friday.
The New York Post first reported that Davis, 60, will be absent from Citi Field when the exercises begin due to coronavirus concerns.
“The schedule for him is still uncertain,” said the new Mets manager Luis Rojas on Thursday in a video call.
Quoting anonymous sources in its report, the Post said Davis did not have the virus.
Rojas said all other coaches and players had signed up for admission screening. Assistant hit coach Tom Slater will replace Davis on-site, who lives in Arizona during the off-season.
“I think we’ll get the most out of Chili, whether he’s with us at the beginning of the camp or whether he’s working remotely. I mean, we are in constant communication. Chili and I talk practically every day and he is in touch with the coaches, ”said Rojas. “So he’s going to help us. He is a great asset, he has great knowledge, great experience. He helps players hitting, playing the game. He also helps the coaches with his view of the game. So he will work remotely and we will feel his presence. “
Boise State is cutting its swimming and diving programs for baseball and women due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The program cuts, as well as additional operational cuts for departments and programs, will reduce the total budget for athletes by nearly $ 3 million.
“This is one of the toughest decisions sports departments have to make, but it comes at a time when we are faced with the greatest financial challenge we have ever seen,” Boise State director of sport Curt Apsey said in a statement on Thursday Thursday.
The cut to baseball comes after the program recently resumed. The school announced in 2017 that baseball was added after it was discontinued after the 1980 season. The 2020 season marked the return of Boise State, but the Broncos only played 14 games before the season was canceled.
The school said all scholarships for athletes in the affected programs, including incoming 2020 signatures, will be honored.
Participants in the Boston Virtual Marathon will receive their medals in an Amazon package instead of being hung around their necks by a volunteer on Boylston Street.
Race organizers announced plans for the event on Thursday. Runners are required to complete the 26.2 mile distance and provide evidence from September 7-14. There is no time limit, but it must be completed in one go.
The package after the race also includes a participation shirt, a program, a bottle opener and other unspecified celebratory items.
The virtual race is open to those who had already registered for the real race, which was scheduled for April 20th and then was postponed until September 14th before it was canceled. The cost to register for the virtual race is $ 50.
The Boston Athletic Association encourages the 10,000 plus volunteers who have signed up to give back to their communities in other ways. You can get your volunteer jacket or donate it to a front line worker.
The French Open will be with fans when it starts in September.
The French Tennis Federation wrote on Twitter that tickets will be available to the general public on July 16. The FFT did not provide any further information on how many fans will be admitted to Roland Garros from September 27 through October 27. October 11th tournament.
The clay court tournament should start on May 24th. It was then postponed to September 20 because of the coronavirus pandemic and then postponed for another week.
The FFT has established a health and safety protocol to ensure the safety of the fans.
West Indian cricket coach Phil Simmons has re-mixed with his squad in Manchester after passing his final test for coronavirus.
Simmons returned from his father-in-law’s funeral last week and had isolated himself in his Old Trafford hotel room.
He had watched the team’s intrasquad match from his balcony, but was allowed to interact with his players after a third virus test in a row.
The first test against England begins on Wednesday.
The cancellation of the Wimbledon tennis tournament has resulted in a great blessing for health care workers in London.
The All England Club says it will donate 200 servings of strawberries every day to workers on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic.
The club says more than 26,000 strawberries that would have been used for Wimbledon are being prepared for delivery by staff.
Wimbledon says it is “a small gesture of appreciation for the NHS ‘dedicated service during the fortnight of the championship”.
Wimbledon was canceled this year for the first time since World War II due to the pandemic. The tournament should start on Monday.
The connection between Wimbledon and strawberries is muddy, but the main theory has to do with timing. The strawberry season in the UK happens to coincide with the tennis tournament.
Cream is optional.
Novak Djokovic says he and his wife have now tested negative for the coronavirus.
The senior player tested positive for the virus after playing without social distancing amid the pandemic in a series of exhibitions he organized in Serbia and Croatia.
His media team says: “Novak Djokovic and his wife Jelena are negative for COVID-19. This was shown by the results of the PCR tests that were both carried out in Belgrade. “
The statement says that both of them had no symptoms and that they have been in self-isolation in the Serbian capital since they tested positive 10 days ago.
Djokovic became the fourth player to contract the virus after playing games in Belgrade and Zadar, Croatia. The others were the three-time Grand Slam semi-finalists Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki.
According to the Swiss football club St. Gallen, a player tested positive for coronavirus after visiting family in Serbia.
The Swiss championship leaders said they allowed Boris Babić to make the two-week trip while he was recovering from a serious knee injury.
The 22-year-old forward tested positive on his return. The club says it has no symptoms and is in self-quarantine.
St. Gallen says Babić had no contact with his teammates.
Novak Djokovic and three other tennis players who tested positive at a tournament he organized in Serbia and Croatia last month became aware of Serbia’s rising number of coronavirus cases.
Other AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports